The Giant Soup Dumplings in SHANGHAI, China

Shanghai being a metropolitan city you will find a lot of diversity in its food which comes not only from all of China, but, internationally as well. And, if you have a curious palate there is no better place to go on a foodie exploration of such assortment  other than in China.

Now, it is Shanghai whose food scene I am most familiar with and one memorable Chinese food experience for me has been waiting in queue for thirty minutes to get my hands on Xiao Long Bao, which simply translates into a “giant soupy dumpling”. The best place to find this unique dumpling is in the Yuyang garden and market. A place in the heart of the city bustling with locals and tourists alike and many weekday-busy food stalls cooking up a variety of Chinese street food to haggling customers at the many shops there. And, of course all of this comes alive in Yuyang surrounded by old school Chinese architecture and the serene garden amongst all things modern and swanky in the city.

GIANT SOUP DUMPLINGS

[XIAO LONG BAO]

• These dumplings have one popular stuffing of minced pork and crab.
  • Just head to where the queue is, you’ll know that’s where they are serving up these delicious dumplings. The queue tends to start even before the stall opens up.
  • They serve these dumplings with a plastic. At first it seems puzzling and no chop sticks are provided either. However, when you look around you will see people stabbing the dumpling with the straw first, sucking on the soup inside and then somehow eating the rest of the dumpling.
  • Be careful while having the broth, it’s usually steaming hot. Well, no surprise here as I managed to burn my mouth given my history of practicing patience.

Xiao Long Bao, Shanghai, China
The right way to drink and eat it.

Xiao Long Bao, Shanghai, China
Queue at the busy stall

Giant Soup Dumpling, Xiao Long Bao, Yuyang garden, Shanghai, China
The soupy crab/pork dumpling

Yuyang Garden Shanghai
Place to find these Giant Soupy Dumplings: Yuyang Garden Shanghai
If you are reading the article, you have had dumplings before and you truly love them. However, to experience these flour bags holding delicious broth and the a mixture of crab and pork along with it is definitely worth getting in that queue.

Have you tried these dumplings before or have any fun food memory from visiting China?

Our other posts from the China Series:

For more stories and updates on my Travel Itinerary and exploits follow @BohemianOnTheRun on Instagram.

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. Dustin says:

Xiao Long Bao were okay, but my favorite dumpling in Shanghai was Sheng Jian Bao. That’s one of the things I miss most about China, all of the delicious food!

1. Aditi J says:

Ahh yes! Definitely love the food there!
      Xiao Long Bao was interesting and Sheng Jian Bao is an all time favorite πŸ˜ƒ

2. Jess says:

These look so yummy! I’m yet to visit China, it’s on my list. What places would you recommend checking out?

1. Aditi J says:

Hi Jess,
      China is so worth it!! You will love your time there. 😊
      Honestly, I have only been to Shanghai, and I’d definitely recommend this vibrant city. However, my father and my husband have been to more cities and towns there and they have all good things to say about Beijing and the countryside.

1. Jess says:

I will keep these in mind when preparing my itinerary, thanks for the recommendations πŸ™‚

3. Mel & Suan says:

Oh we enjoy the culinary treasures of Shanghai when we lived there. There are so much to try to eat!

1. Aditi J says:

Oh I can’t wait to go back and try more food in the city. Could use some recommendations from you for our next trip to Shanghai 😊

1. Mel & Suan says:

Well, we’ve moved away for such a long time we cannot profess to be experts anymore. But certainly the xiaolong buns are worth queuing for! And if you are into seafood…well be in Shanghai in October for the crabs!

2. Aditi J says:

OK. Now crabs are my favorite 😍
        We’ll be there in July though. Maybe another time for crabs as work comes up in oct for us to visit. πŸ™‚